McKinley Children’s Center is a highly respected child welfare organization, conveniently located near Los Angeles and Orange County in the city of San Dimas, with 4 other locations throughout Southern California. McKinley Children’s Center’s comprehensive array of programs and services - which touch nearly 1,500 lives annually - include Residential Treatment, Foster Care, Adoptions, Mental Health Services and Special Education. McKinley is nationally accredited, licensed by the California Department of Social Services and is certified by the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health. Our environment is highly therapeutic with many opportunities for activities with the children. Our beautiful 30 acre campus has a large covered outdoor basketball court, Olympic size pool, football/baseball field, play grounds, huge cafeteria, and a sports complex across the street which has baseball fields, tennis courts, and a running track.
Purpose of the position:
- The role of the instructional assistant is to assist the classroom teacher with classroom academic and behavioral needs of all students. All Instructional Aides are required to assist with curb to curb transportation.
Description of Duties:
- Follow through on commitments made to children.
- Fill in as a substitute teacher (if qualified).
- Ability to work in several different classrooms and with varying age and grade levels.
- Assist the teacher in administering the classroom curriculum.
- Provide tutoring to students in small groups or one-on-one.
- Provide one-to-one assistance for assigned students.
- Work as part of a team with the classroom teacher and other staff members.
- Assist in all academic areas including physical education, music and art.
- Provide behavior management assistance to students including crisis intervention and physical restraints.
- Set limits and intervene appropriately to meet the needs of the children and families served.
- Provide transportation for community based students to and from school.
- Ability to perform transportation duties as driver and or rider on a van route.
- All other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education / Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred, Associates Degree or 60 Units completed.
- Working with children and CBEST preferred.
- 5 years of experience in working with private insurance providers preferred.
Other Skills Required:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other office-related software.
- Possess superior oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Able to work independently and organize multiple projects with minimum supervision.
- Able to work as a team member.
- Able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professional boundaries with clients and staff.
- Able represent the agency professionally and appropriately with all constituencies.
Physical Skills Required:
- Must pass pre-employment physical exam, TB and drug screening.
- Ability to commute to various sites on and off campus.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Ability to physically restrain children (if needed).
- DOJ, FBI, Child Abuse Index
- Insurability under Corporate Automobile Insurance
We are committed to providing our valued employees of McKinley Children’s Center, with a comprehensive, high quality, affordable employee benefits program that meets your family’s needs and serves as an integral and valuable component of your total compensation package. Designed to provide you and your dependents with protection and security, this program allows you to choose the plans and coverage that are right for you.